Last week we received an e-mail from SCI, along with our first (5 weeks) scan. With our first beta HCG value at 207, we knew it could go either ways but were both thinking it would be a singleton. Both of us were proved wrong... 2 well-defined gestational sacs were seen. Seeing the scans finally convinced us that we are pregnant. Very pregnant - with twins!!
A week after our first scan, we received more good news yesterday that the 2 sacs contained live embryos, both corresponding to 5 weeks 6 days. The e-mail from SCI also assured us that 2 heartbeats were seen during the scan. We were thrilled to hear the news. We've crossed the third hurdle but must now make it through the all-important first trimester! After reading other blogs, I realized that our email did not mention anything about heart rates. So, I sent an e-mail requesting this information. Within a few hours, Deepika @ SCI got back to us with 104 and 108. Both sound like good numbers for 6 weeks.
We always wanted 2 kids so twins are ideal. However, we've been reading so much about the high risks of twin pregnancies that it really feels like walking on thin ice. Everything we read seems to suggest that having twins lowers our chance of taking home a healthy baby. Then, yesterday I read about a new study that seems to suggest the exact opposite - that twin pregnancies result in higher live birth rates: Do twins help each other survive in IVF?
Needless to say, I am really confused and wish I could stop googling. All the research and reading just seems to make me worry. Our next scan is not due for another 2 weeks and that feels like a looong time. How are we going to pass all this time without stressing out? Eddy says he'll write something en Español for our Spanish readers. I think I'm just going to TRY to focus on other things to distract myself and stay positive, as mom recommended.
Happy New Year 2012 everyone!
A week after our first scan, we received more good news yesterday that the 2 sacs contained live embryos, both corresponding to 5 weeks 6 days. The e-mail from SCI also assured us that 2 heartbeats were seen during the scan. We were thrilled to hear the news. We've crossed the third hurdle but must now make it through the all-important first trimester! After reading other blogs, I realized that our email did not mention anything about heart rates. So, I sent an e-mail requesting this information. Within a few hours, Deepika @ SCI got back to us with 104 and 108. Both sound like good numbers for 6 weeks.
We always wanted 2 kids so twins are ideal. However, we've been reading so much about the high risks of twin pregnancies that it really feels like walking on thin ice. Everything we read seems to suggest that having twins lowers our chance of taking home a healthy baby. Then, yesterday I read about a new study that seems to suggest the exact opposite - that twin pregnancies result in higher live birth rates: Do twins help each other survive in IVF?
Needless to say, I am really confused and wish I could stop googling. All the research and reading just seems to make me worry. Our next scan is not due for another 2 weeks and that feels like a looong time. How are we going to pass all this time without stressing out? Eddy says he'll write something en Español for our Spanish readers. I think I'm just going to TRY to focus on other things to distract myself and stay positive, as mom recommended.
Happy New Year 2012 everyone!



Yay for twins! We always like to think that our babies are keeping each other company until we get there! I wish I could say the worry lessens-- I am probably the WORST example-- do not take any tips from me:)Congrats on all the good news!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Twins are just wonderful. I do think our twins looked after each other but I suppose we will never know. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteFelicidades! Wishing all the best for you guys!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the twin club,wishing you the most boring pregnancy possible,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteTwins are perfect for you guys! From what I've heard, you've passed a big milestone with heartbeats. Keep up the good news and look forward to your next update.
ReplyDeletecongratulations to you both... have everything crossed for you!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations - double the fun!!! Hoping for a nice quiet pregnancy for you all!!!
ReplyDeleteNice post, congrat and Best wishes to you!
ReplyDeleteVic
Welcome to the twins club!
ReplyDeleteI keep trying to get Adrian to write in Spanish, but the only time he wrote a post he did it Catalan instead, which, like, only he and five other people speak (DE BROMA, parlants de català!).